Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wait...I still have a blog?!

Ok, so I didn't completely forget about this ol' gal, but in my defense, I've been pretty busy. And by that I mean really busy. And by that I mean, I'm not really sure what day it is. Actually, I take that back. I know that I have 8 days before my next exam block. Shit.

Med school has been like that. Each week is a different shade of "oh crap". Example: week after exams: oh-crap level(out of 10) = 1.5, week 2: 3.5, week 3: 7.0, week 4: 11. We had out first exam block already, and of course I was freaking out for that. Comparatively, however, it wasn't that bad. Only two courses, human anatomy and genetics. This time around, biochem (hello old friend!), clinical psych (I'm not really sure still what the purpose of this class is), human anatomy, and human development (odd, there's some sort of "human" theme going on here). So, 5 exams, 5 days - anatomy gets two because it's special).

So what's med school like? I'm searching for a befitting "Raman analogy" here but none really come to mind. It's pretty awesome, so we can start with that. We're learning some interesting stuff - did you know that cleft palate results from improper closure of tissues in utero - not unplanned separation? Down side: there isn't very much happening clinically though, which I suppose is good. We did have an afternoon on taking blood pressure, which I was allegedly good at. Great, I can correlate sounds starting and stopping with numbers. I take that back. I shouldn't be so down on it - after getting beaten over the head with basic sciences, this was a welcome reprieve. That, and I got to walk around with my stethoscope casually slung around my neck. SO PRO.

On that note, the MSTP has been a real gem. We've had two guest lecturers come to the College, and they've been pretty sweet. Numero uno: George Daley. This guy is a CHAMP. If you don't know much about it, seriously, look him up. Incredible. Numero dos: Stephen Archer. Another amazing research scientist who gave a really hilarious (and academic) presentation on hypertension. Cool to see that knowing the Krebs cycle has clinical importance!

Just like in high school and undergrad, we were welcomed with a speech that went to the effect of "we know all of you are smart, but this is different, some of you are going to really struggle". As usual, I didn't pay it much heed. Whoops. Med school is HARD. Initially, you laugh when people say that it is "like drinking from a firehose" - that is, until you realize it is true. Then you're not laughing because you're trying to choke down all the material they are throwing at you. It is a TON of work. Where one would normally say, "eh, they're not going to test us on that" or "we can't be expected to know ALL of that", you learn to say, "gee, gonna need to know that" and "Yeah. Know it."

But it isn't all studies, and that is probably the best part. MCW has a really good student culture. I.e.:
1. Gunners exist, but they aren't predominant or, really, prevalent.
2. There isn't any of this "that's my chair" ridiculousness happening. And yes, this happens at other institutions, even those greater than or less than 90 miles west...
3. TONS of student orgs. There's the usual lot, AMA, ACP, etc etc, but a bunch of purely leisurely ones as well. Speaking of which, you're talking to the new president of the MCW cycling club. In med school, it's the small victories. Mostly those that come after big losses (ahem, student assembly spots).
4. Really caring faculty. Best example is probably our newbie, Dr. Hoagland. Really awesome dude, and man, that voice can calm nuclear conflicts - which is good, because anatomy lab = freakout central.

Ok, update done, time to go study. Catch you on the flip of block 2, friends. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment